Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Can a Christian author who published non Christian books, publish a over the top Christian book?

OK, i haven't published my other books yet, and i'm not saying i will but i want to, but i got this idea for a book and i don't know because i want to publish my other books (not Christian) then my book (Christian) about Walking with Jesus. Logically Walking with Jesus! (Aka, God granted the girls wish and she got to go back in time and meet Jesus. it's fiction, OK? so anything can happen, i just used God's name for my amusement)

I'm just wondering if i should leave it for my own of send it out for publishers?



Here's Chapter One



+One+



Almost every Sunday, I fall asleep in the middle. If I haven’t passed out, I fidget in my seat and bite my nails and Daydream.

Mum gave me a lecture about church, and I just ignored her. The only thing that took my attention was that she said that I would have to back to stupid Sunday School. I never told her that I got kicked out of stupid kiddie class after I yelled “Boring” out at the teacher as they were reading some stupid illustrated Bible.

I can’t possibly go back. I’m four years over the limit. I’m a “Troubled” teenager, or a nowadays puberty member, as they say at school.

Today, although, I have drunk five cups of coffee, read the bible twice this week, and I sit in the uncomfortable chair and fidget, trying to hide the glare mum is giving me. I chew on my lip and look at the preacher.

Suddenly, I get, not bored, not tired, I don’t fall asleep, I don’t daydream . . . but I get interested. How could he do all that?

My back arches forward and my eyes go wide, and I think my face looks so absorbed I might look crazy.

I reach for my pen and notepad and take down notes about Yahweh and almost groan when Reverend says farewell. When I look at mum, she is shocked, her mouth wide. She is smiling.

Later on, at nine at night, I am studying my bible, understanding. I just can’t figure out the stinking Thee and thy’s but I take it Thee is They, and Thy is the. Hey, they could make a dictionary at the back, but I just guess.

Suddenly mum is knocking on my bedroom door, and I welcome her in.

‘I’m proud of you.’ Mum says, a proud tone in her voice.

I decide to tell her my decision. ‘I want to get baptised.’ I say, shaking, wondering if I’m ready. ‘May I?’

Mum is laughing. ‘Honey, it’s you’re decision, not mine. I don’t care if you decide to become an Pricilla Presley impersonator!” She is now giggling. ‘But, remember one thing . . .’

‘Hmm?’

a smile slides over her face.

‘Don’t forget to hold your breath.’ She sniffs and fakes a sneeze and tingles her nose. Then laughs and walks away.



*



My heart is pumping hard against my chest. I look at mum, who gives me a thumbs up. I step up. There is three more people with the Reverend. This one is a little scared, trying to hold her breathe and not block her nose.

The reverend decides to let her fall in with her hand on her nose and she almost falls into the towel. She stumbles up to the oil man.

The next one is just as worse, and I am happy, because I’m scared. Not that I’m giving my life up, but I’m afraid I’m going to smash my head into the bath.

But when the boy in front of my falls in, fully clothed I have a panic attack.

The Reverand prays, and I guard my heart with my arms crossing and The reverend whispers

‘Ready?’

I make a groaning sound which replies as a yes and the Reverend counts up to three.

Then I fall into blue water, and rise, drenched and cold and Satisfied.

I wrap a Towel around my body, wiping my nose. Now I know what mum meant about holding my breath. I walk up to the man with a bucket of olive oil, floating on holy water.

We have our own little way to get baptised. You fall into the long bath behind the stages and walk over to the man with the oil and holy water and get anointed.

‘By the power of the father.’ I say, taping water and oil on my forhead. ‘son.’ My cheek. ‘and the holy spirit.’ my left cheek. I don’t know if it was in the right order but I still feel happy. ‘amen.’





(P.S. Any girl names that have a meaning like "Walking with Jesus" or whatever.)Can a Christian author who published non Christian books, publish a over the top Christian book?
I think it's an amazing Idea and you should totally try and get it published along with your other books. I don't think authors should have to stick to one topic. Variety is a blessing. Down below are some baby names. Christina means follower of Christ.Can a Christian author who published non Christian books, publish a over the top Christian book?
No offence but unless your intentions were truly Christian then it wouldn't be a good idea -- you'd just be using religious figures in your own story because you think it'd be 'good'. By your question title I assumed you meant that you were afraid, because you didn't want to be write a Christian book and then contradict yourself by writing non-Christian books, which would give people pause (and cause them to think 'and she calls herself a Christian?).

So unless you have a reason like a lesson to teach (in her going back to meet Jesus) then it's unadviseable.

If you are Christian but are worried that people will think you're a hypocrate for writing both Christian and non-Christian books then use a pen-name. Noone is perfect and you can write both genres this way without 'contradicting' yourself until you decide what you will write/what you really feel.

I have that same problem, because atm I wouldn't call myself the greatest Christian but I can still distinguish between what I feel I should be doing and shouldn't be doing, or what some people might feel. I want to write a *truly* Christian book on angels / demons and what happens in the spirit world during prayer (kind of like Frank Peretti) with messages, etc. because I feel I should be using my gift for God as well rather than for just my own things.

In the end what I say doesn't matter as much as what you do, so just do what you feel would be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment